WELCOME TO WESLEY CHURCH!
A friendly community
Biblical teaching and preaching
Classical but contemporary worship with a rich musical ‘menu’
Our beautiful old church has come to the end of a major restoration as the whole site undergoes redevelopment.
Re-Opening Service: This Sunday – December 15th, 2pm
Join us to bless this restored centre of worship, witness and service. Our choir will lead our praise and the Moderator, Rev Denise Liersch, will preach.
Dec 8 Isaiah 11: 1-9, Matthew 3: 1-12 ‘Repent and embrace God’s dream’ Alistair Macrae
148 Lonsdale Street,
Melbourne, VICTORIA 3000
(between Russell St and Exhibition St)
Weekly Worship Services
9.15 am Gospel Hall Cantonese/Mandarin Service
11.00 am Morning Worship
6.00 pm Evening Worship
Church Administration Hours
Tuesday 9.30 am – 2.30pm
Wednesday 9.30 am – 1.30 pm
Thursday 9.30 am – 4.00 pm
Some facts about Wesley Church
- Built in 1858, currently undergoing major restoration works
- Originally a Wesleyan Church, it became a Methodist Church in the union of 1902, and then part of the Uniting Church in Australia in the union with the Congregational and Presbyterian Churches in 1977.
- Located in the Central Business District of Melbourne, Australia
- In 1893, in response to community needs, started what is now Uniting Wesley, a large community services organisation serving the most vulnerable people in our community. https://www.vt.uniting.org/
- Offering ‘mainstream’ biblical teaching and classical reformed worship
- A cross-cultural congregation, including people of various Asian and Pacific cultures
- Wesley Church building is also the home of the Gospel Hall, a Uniting Church congregation with church services in Cantonese, with Mandarin and English translation.
Uniting Church in Australia
Wesley Uniting Church is a congregation of the Yarra Yarra Presbytery and the Synod of Victoria and Tasmania.
Wesley Church seeks to serve Christ with the following mission priorities for the coming five years:
- to provide services of worship, building on our present style, and with a special focus on the ministry of music
- to continue to welcome, care for and nurture all who share in our worship and congregational life
- to grow as a cross-cultural and inclusive community, especially welcoming and supporting visitors and international students, while developing our partnership with the Gospel Hall congregation
- to be a vital centre available to the Uniting Church and ecumenical partners