WELCOME TO WESLEY CHURCH!
A friendly community
Biblical teaching and preaching
Classical but contemporary worship with a rich musical ‘menu’
Responding to Covid-19
Worship resources are prepared and put on this website page each week to enable people to worship at home, in ‘virtual fellowship’ with others in our community and beyond.
In the meantime, we continue to pray for all who have been directly impacted by the virus itself, our medical and public health workers and researchers, and all who are being affected by the economic, emotional and social impacts of this virus.
Worship this Sunday, November 1, All Saints Day
Join with others for worship this Sunday by opening the Order of Service (click here) and clicking on the various links for sound and video files plus music for the songs and hymns.
This Sunday our preacher is our Minister, Rev Alistair Macrae, and our worship leader is Rev Kevin Dobson.
Evening ZOOM service, 6pm.
On the first evening of each month we hold a short service on Zoom. This week, being All Saints Day, there will be an opportunity to acknowledge those who have helped inspire and shape our Christian life who are now part of the ‘communion of saints’. If you would like to join, feel free to have a candle ready to light in a time of acknowledgement and thanksgiving for those ‘saints’.
130 Lonsdale Street,
Melbourne, VICTORIA 3000
(between Russell St and Exhibition St)
Weekly Worship Services
(Suspended until further notice)
Wednesdays to Fridays (part time hours)
Some facts about Wesley Church
- Built in 1858, currently undergoing major restoration works
- Originally a Wesleyan Church, it became a Methodist Church in the union of 1902, and then part of the Uniting Church in Australia in the union with the Congregational and Presbyterian Churches in 1977.
- Located in the Central Business District of Melbourne, Australia
- In 1893, in response to community needs, started what is now Uniting Wesley, a large community services organisation serving the most vulnerable people in our community. https://www.vt.uniting.org/
- Offering ‘mainstream’ biblical teaching and classical reformed worship
- A cross-cultural congregation, including people of various Asian and Pacific cultures
- Wesley Church building is also the home of the Gospel Hall, a Uniting Church congregation with church services in Cantonese, with Mandarin and English translation.
Uniting Church in Australia
Wesley Uniting Church is a congregation of the Yarra Yarra Presbytery and the Synod of Victoria and Tasmania.
Wesley Church seeks to serve Christ with the following mission priorities for the coming five years:
- to provide services of worship, building on our present style, and with a special focus on the ministry of music
- to continue to welcome, care for and nurture all who share in our worship and congregational life
- to grow as a cross-cultural and inclusive community, especially welcoming and supporting visitors and international students, while developing our partnership with the Gospel Hall congregation
- to be a vital centre available to the Uniting Church and ecumenical partners