Welcome to Wesley Church
‘A house of prayer for all peoples’ (Isaiah 56:7)
A friendly welcome
Biblical teaching and preaching
Classical but contemporary worship with a rich musical ‘menu’
Worship This Week
1st February 2015
This Sunday at both services we will be using the Methodist ‘Covenant Service’ – an act of recommitment to Christ’s way at the beginning of a new year. The morning service will include Holy Communion. The theme of both services will be: ‘Christianity: Contract or Covenant?’ The worship leader and preacher will be our Minister, Rev Alistair Macrae.
Morning Worship Service at 11.00 am (Covenant Service and Holy Communion)
Evening Worship Service at 7.00 pm (The Covenant Service)
Our English conversation classes resume next Friday, February 6, 10.30-12 and 2-3.30pm. New members welcome.
Advance notice – Taize worship
On Saturday February 7th there will be a ‘pilgrimage of prayer’ to mark the 75th anniversary of the Taize monastic community in France. The day commences at Wesley Church at 9am for worship and prayer and discussion before moving on to St Francis Catholic Church and finishing at St Paul’s cathedral. Details: www.taizemelbourne2015.com
148 Lonsdale Street,
Melbourne, VICTORIA 3000
(between Russell St and Exhibition St)
Weekly Worship Services
9.15 am Gospel Hall Cantonese/Mandarin Service
11.00 am Morning Worship Service
7.00 pm Evening Worship Service
Church Office Hours
Tuesday 9.30 am – 5.00 pm
Wednesday 9.30 am – 5.00 pm
Thursday 9.30 am – 4.00 pm
Some facts about Wesley Church
- Built in 1858
- Originally a Wesleyan Church, it became a Methodist Church in the union of 1902, and then part of the Uniting Church in Australia in the union with the Congregational and Presbyterian Churches in 1977.
- Located in the Central Business District of Melbourne, Australia
- In 1893, in response to community needs, started what is now Wesley Mission Victoria, a large community services organisation serving the most vulnerable people in our community www.wesley.org.au
- Offering ‘mainstream’ biblical teaching and classical reformed worship
- A cross-cultural congregation, including people of various Asian and Pacific cultures
- Wesley Church building is also the home of the Gospel Hall, a Uniting Church congregation with church services in Cantonese, with Mandarin and English translation.
Read more about Wesley Church on Wikipedia.
Uniting Church in Australia
Wesley Uniting Church is a congregation of the Yarra Yarra Presbytery and the Synod of Victoria and Tasmania.
Wesley Church seeks to serve Christ with the following mission priorities for the coming five years:
- to provide services of worship, building on our present style, and with a special focus on the ministry of music
- to continue to welcome, care for and nurture all who share in our worship and congregational life
- to grow as a cross-cultural and inclusive community, especially welcoming and supporting visitors and international students, while developing our partnership with the Gospel Hall congregation
- to be a vital centre available to the Uniting Church and ecumenical partners