Welcome to Wesley Church
‘A house of prayer for all peoples’ (Isaiah 56:7)
A friendly welcome
Biblical teaching and preaching
Classical but contemporary worship with a rich musical ‘menu’
Worship This Week Sunday, 30th November, Advent 1
This Sunday marks the beginning of the season of Advent, four weeks of prayerful preparation for the coming of Christ. Morning worship is at 11 am (Holy Communion). Evening worship at 7pm is a service of Advent Carols (some sung by the choir and some by the congregation). Both services will be led by our Minister, Rev Alistair Macrae.
Events This Week
Church Council meets at 7pm on Tuesday night.
The usual weekly Wednesday free organ recital by our organist, Geoff Urquhart, will take place between 1-1.30pm, all welcome.
Each Friday, English conversation classes are held in the Lower School House: 10.30-12 noon and 2-3.30pm. New members very welcome.
On Friday night the Young Adults hold their final meeting, dinner out at a nearby restaurant. Meet at the Church at 6.45pm.
148 Lonsdale Street,
Melbourne, VICTORIA 3000
(between Russell St and Exhibition St)
Weekly Worship Services
9.15 am Gospel Hall Cantonese/Mandarin Service
11.00 am Morning Worship Service
7.00 pm Evening Worship Service
Church Office Hours This Week
Tuesday 9.30 am – 5.00 pm
Wednesday 9.30 am – 5.00 pm
Thursday 9.30 am – 4.00 pm
Some facts about Wesley Church
- Built in 1858
- Originally a Wesleyan Church, it became a Methodist Church in the union of 1902, and then part of the Uniting Church in Australia in the union with the Congregational and Presbyterian Churches in 1977.
- Located in the Central Business District of Melbourne, Australia
- In 1893, in response to community needs, started what is now Wesley Mission Victoria, a large community services organisation serving the most vulnerable people in our community www.wesley.org.au
- Offering ‘mainstream’ biblical teaching and classical reformed worship
- A cross-cultural congregation, including people of various Asian and Pacific cultures
- Wesley Church building is also the home of the Gospel Hall, a Uniting Church congregation with church services in Cantonese, with Mandarin and English translation.
Read more about Wesley Church on Wikipedia.
Uniting Church in Australia
Wesley Uniting Church is a congregation of the Yarra Yarra Presbytery and the Synod of Victoria and Tasmania.
Wesley Church seeks to serve Christ with the following mission priorities for the coming five years:
- to provide services of worship, building on our present style, and with a special focus on the ministry of music
- to continue to welcome, care for and nurture all who share in our worship and congregational life
- to grow as a cross-cultural and inclusive community, especially welcoming and supporting visitors and international students, while developing our partnership with the Gospel Hall congregation
- to be a vital centre available to the Uniting Church and ecumenical partners