Welcome to Wesley Church
‘A house of prayer for all peoples’ (Isaiah 56:7)
A friendly welcome
Biblical teaching and preaching
Classical but contemporary worship with a rich musical ‘menu’
Worship This Week
March 22 2015
Sunday is the fifth Sunday in the season of Lent – the season of journeying with Jesus on the path of faithfulness that will lead him to the Cross. During these six weeks the church will be more austerely decorated, without flowers and featuring the colour purple, variously signifying penitence and royalty.
The worship leader and preacher at the morning service will be Rev Dr Sandy Yule. The evening service will be led by Rev (Deac) Gavin Blakemore, Director of Mission at Wesley Mission Victoria. The evening service will include Holy Communion.
Morning Worship Service at 11.00 am
Evening Worship Service at 7.00 pm (Holy Communion)
The free lunchtime organ recitals by Wesley’s Director of Music, Geoffrey Urquhart, continue this Wednesday 1-1.30pm.
Our free English conversation classes continue this Friday, 10.30-12 and 1.30-3.00pm. New members welcome.
During Lent on Sunday mornings (9.45am) we are studying a series called ‘Living the Christian Life’. These groups will meet in the Lower School House at the rear of the Church. All welcome.
Coming soon – Palm Sunday
Palm Sunday, March 29, will be a big day at Wesley. At the 11am service our preacher will be the national President of the Uniting Church, Rev Prof Andrew Dutney. Following worship, at 12.30-1.15pm, there will be a performance of ‘Stormy Waters: A Play about Us and Them’. All welcome to this free performance. Uniting Church people will gather at the front of Wesley Church at 1.30pm and walk together to the ‘Walk for Justice for Refugees’ which commences at the State Library at 2pm.
148 Lonsdale Street,
Melbourne, VICTORIA 3000
(between Russell St and Exhibition St)
Weekly Worship Services
9.15 am Gospel Hall Cantonese/Mandarin Service
11.00 am Morning Worship Service
7.00 pm Evening Worship Service
Church Office Hours
Tuesday 9.30 am – 5.00 pm
Wednesday 9.30 am – 5.00 pm
Thursday 9.30 am – 4.00 pm
Some facts about Wesley Church
- Built in 1858
- Originally a Wesleyan Church, it became a Methodist Church in the union of 1902, and then part of the Uniting Church in Australia in the union with the Congregational and Presbyterian Churches in 1977.
- Located in the Central Business District of Melbourne, Australia
- In 1893, in response to community needs, started what is now Wesley Mission Victoria, a large community services organisation serving the most vulnerable people in our community www.wesley.org.au
- Offering ‘mainstream’ biblical teaching and classical reformed worship
- A cross-cultural congregation, including people of various Asian and Pacific cultures
- Wesley Church building is also the home of the Gospel Hall, a Uniting Church congregation with church services in Cantonese, with Mandarin and English translation.
Read more about Wesley Church on Wikipedia.
Uniting Church in Australia
Wesley Uniting Church is a congregation of the Yarra Yarra Presbytery and the Synod of Victoria and Tasmania.
Wesley Church seeks to serve Christ with the following mission priorities for the coming five years:
- to provide services of worship, building on our present style, and with a special focus on the ministry of music
- to continue to welcome, care for and nurture all who share in our worship and congregational life
- to grow as a cross-cultural and inclusive community, especially welcoming and supporting visitors and international students, while developing our partnership with the Gospel Hall congregation
- to be a vital centre available to the Uniting Church and ecumenical partners