Welcome to Wesley Church
‘A house of prayer for all peoples’ (Isaiah 56:7)
A friendly welcome
Biblical teaching and preaching
Classical but contemporary worship with a rich musical ‘menu’
Sunday Worship Services
December 11 Advent 3
This Sunday marks the third Sunday in Advent, the season which focuses on preparation for celebrating Christ’s coming among us as a person, as well as anticipating the coming of God’s reign of justice, peace and love in the end time. The morning service is at 11am. The evening service (7pm), including Holy Communion, will be more reflective in character featuring the simple chants of the Taize Community and extended silences for prayer and meditation as well as offerings from our evening choir. The reflection will be offered by Rev Dr Robyn Whitaker. Both services will be led by our Minister, Rev Alistair Macrae. All are very welcome.
Free organ recital:
Our Director of Music, Geoff Urquhart, offers a free organ recital in the church Wednesdays lunchtime (1.00-1.30).
Free English conversation classes
These classes take place each Friday in term time, 10.30-12 noon and 1.00-2.30pm.
Food Justice Truck
Every Wednesday, 11.30-2pm, this social enterprise initiative of the Asylum Seeker Resource Centre is parked at the front of Wesley Church selling fresh fruit and vegies at normal prices for the general community and at heavily subsidised prices (75% reduction) for asylum seekers. We commend it to you! For more information see: www.asrc.org.au/foodjustice/
148 Lonsdale Street,
Melbourne, VICTORIA 3000
(between Russell St and Exhibition St)
9.15 am Gospel Hall Cantonese/Mandarin Service
11.00 am Morning Worship Service
7.00 pm Evening Worship Service
Office Administration Hours
Tuesday & Wednesday 9.30 am – 5.00 pm
Thursday 9.30 am – 4.00 pm
Some facts about Wesley Church
- Built in 1858
- Originally a Wesleyan Church, it became a Methodist Church in the union of 1902, and then part of the Uniting Church in Australia in the union with the Congregational and Presbyterian Churches in 1977.
- Located in the Central Business District of Melbourne, Australia
- In 1893, in response to community needs, started what is now Wesley Mission Victoria, a large community services organisation serving the most vulnerable people in our community www.wesley.org.au
- Offering ‘mainstream’ biblical teaching and classical reformed worship
- A cross-cultural congregation, including people of various Asian and Pacific cultures
- Wesley Church building is also the home of the Gospel Hall, a Uniting Church congregation with church services in Cantonese, with Mandarin and English translation.
Read more about Wesley Church on Wikipedia.
Uniting Church in Australia
Wesley Uniting Church is a congregation of the Yarra Yarra Presbytery and the Synod of Victoria and Tasmania.
Wesley Church seeks to serve Christ with the following mission priorities for the coming five years:
- to provide services of worship, building on our present style, and with a special focus on the ministry of music
- to continue to welcome, care for and nurture all who share in our worship and congregational life
- to grow as a cross-cultural and inclusive community, especially welcoming and supporting visitors and international students, while developing our partnership with the Gospel Hall congregation
- to be a vital centre available to the Uniting Church and ecumenical partners