Welcome to Wesley Church
‘A house of prayer for all peoples’ (Isaiah 56:7)
A friendly welcome
Biblical teaching and preaching
Classical but contemporary worship with a rich musical ‘menu’
Works on site
Redevelopment works have commenced on the Lonsdale Street site. Hoardings have been erected for safety reasons; and archaeological works are continuing. Access to the car park behind the church cannot be guaranteed so if you are driving to Wesley you are encouraged to find street parking or to park in one of the nearby commercial car parks.
Sunday, February 26th Note change of time: Morning worship 10.30am
The morning service this week will be at 10.30am(not 11am) and will be a combined worship service with the Gospel Hall Chinese congregation. The guest preacher will be Rev Dr Apwee Ting, National Director of Cross0cultural Ministry for the Uniting Church. Following worship all are invited to join in a fellowship lunch in Nicholas Hall, adjacent to the Church.
The evening service (‘Threshold’) at 7pm will be of a more reflective and contemplative style, including holy communion.
These classes take place each Friday in term time- in NIcholas Hall, adjacent to the Church in 148 Lonsdale Street.
10.30 am – 12 noon and 1.00 pm – 2.30 pm.
Classes resume on Friday, February 10, 2017.
New participants are welcome when classes resume!
Food Justice Truck
…Come along, shop for great fruit and veggies, bread and condiments and support asylum seekers.
Every Wednesday, 11.30-2pm, this social enterprise initiative of the Asylum Seeker Resource Centre is parked at the front of Wesley Church selling fresh fruit and veggies at normal prices for the general community and at heavily subsidised prices for asylum seekers. We commend it to your support! For more information see: www.asrc.org.au/foodjustice/
148 Lonsdale Street,
Melbourne, VICTORIA 3000
(between Russell St and Exhibition St)
Wesley Church Melbourne,
Locked Bag 8, A’Beckett Street PO,
Melbourne, VIC 8006
9.15 am Gospel Hall Cantonese/Mandarin Service
11.00 am Morning Worship Service
7.00 pm Evening Worship Service
Office Administration Hours
Tuesday & Wednesday 9.30 am – 5.00 pm
Thursday 9.30 am – 4.00 pm
Some facts about Wesley Church
- Built in 1858
- Originally a Wesleyan Church, it became a Methodist Church in the union of 1902, and then part of the Uniting Church in Australia in the union with the Congregational and Presbyterian Churches in 1977.
- Located in the Central Business District of Melbourne, Australia
- In 1893, in response to community needs, started what is now Wesley Mission Victoria, a large community services organisation serving the most vulnerable people in our community www.wesley.org.au
- Offering ‘mainstream’ biblical teaching and classical reformed worship
- A cross-cultural congregation, including people of various Asian and Pacific cultures
- Wesley Church building is also the home of the Gospel Hall, a Uniting Church congregation with church services in Cantonese, with Mandarin and English translation.
Read more about Wesley Church on Wikipedia.
Uniting Church in Australia
Wesley Uniting Church is a congregation of the Yarra Yarra Presbytery and the Synod of Victoria and Tasmania.
Wesley Church seeks to serve Christ with the following mission priorities for the coming five years:
- to provide services of worship, building on our present style, and with a special focus on the ministry of music
- to continue to welcome, care for and nurture all who share in our worship and congregational life
- to grow as a cross-cultural and inclusive community, especially welcoming and supporting visitors and international students, while developing our partnership with the Gospel Hall congregation
- to be a vital centre available to the Uniting Church and ecumenical partners