Welcome to Wesley Church
‘A house of prayer for all peoples’ (Isaiah 56:7)
A friendly welcome
Biblical teaching and preaching
Classical but contemporary worship with a rich musical ‘menu’
Worship this Sunday, November 29th, 11am, 7pm
This Sunday is the first Sunday in the season of Advent. At both services the preacher and worship leader will be Rev (Deac) Gavin Blakemore, Director of Mission at Wesley Mission Victoria.
The evening service at 7pm is our annual Advent Carols Service, featuring Advent readings and carols, led by our choir.
This Friday, Nov 27, People’s Climate March and ‘Farewell to Coal’ ceremony
At 5pm, before the People’s Climate March, there will be a brief ‘Farewell to Coal’ ceremony outside Wesley Church., after which we will walk to the Sate Library to join the Climate March which begins at 5.30pm. .
Free organ recital: please note: There will be no organ recital today, November 25.
Each Wednesday, 1.00-1.30pm, our Director of Music, Geoff Urquhart, holds a free organ recital in the church, all welcome.
Free English conversation classes
These classes are held in the Lower School House in the car park at the rear of the Church each Friday in term time, 10.30 – 12 noon and 1.30-3pm. Following the school holiday break, classes resume this week. All welcome.
Food Justice Truck
Every Wednesday, 11.30-2pm, this social enterprise initiative of the Asylum Seeker Resource Centre is parked at the front of Wesley Church selling fresh fruit and vegies at normal prices for the general community and at heavily subsidised prices (75% reduction) for asylum seekers. We commend it to you! For more information see: www.asrc.org.au/foodjustice/
148 Lonsdale Street,
Melbourne, VICTORIA 3000
(between Russell St and Exhibition St)
9.15 am Gospel Hall Cantonese/Mandarin Service
11.00 am Morning Worship Service
7.00 pm Evening Worship Service
Church Office Administration Hours
Tuesday & Wednesday 9.30 am – 4.30pm
Thursday 9.30 am – 4.00 pm
Some facts about Wesley Church
- Built in 1858
- Originally a Wesleyan Church, it became a Methodist Church in the union of 1902, and then part of the Uniting Church in Australia in the union with the Congregational and Presbyterian Churches in 1977.
- Located in the Central Business District of Melbourne, Australia
- In 1893, in response to community needs, started what is now Wesley Mission Victoria, a large community services organisation serving the most vulnerable people in our community www.wesley.org.au
- Offering ‘mainstream’ biblical teaching and classical reformed worship
- A cross-cultural congregation, including people of various Asian and Pacific cultures
- Wesley Church building is also the home of the Gospel Hall, a Uniting Church congregation with church services in Cantonese, with Mandarin and English translation.
Read more about Wesley Church on Wikipedia.
Uniting Church in Australia
Wesley Uniting Church is a congregation of the Yarra Yarra Presbytery and the Synod of Victoria and Tasmania.
Wesley Church seeks to serve Christ with the following mission priorities for the coming five years:
- to provide services of worship, building on our present style, and with a special focus on the ministry of music
- to continue to welcome, care for and nurture all who share in our worship and congregational life
- to grow as a cross-cultural and inclusive community, especially welcoming and supporting visitors and international students, while developing our partnership with the Gospel Hall congregation
- to be a vital centre available to the Uniting Church and ecumenical partners